Monday, May 5, 2008

pay it forward.

one good turn deserves another. also makes a person more inclined to do something nice for someone else. it can also make or save your day. take today for example.

lost my hubcap (again) while exiting the offramp of the freeway. i watched as my hubcap wobbled away to the side of the road in my rearview window. i debated on going to get it but decided not to because 1) it was right off the freeway and just a really bad place 2) the light was going to change any minute now. i thought to myself, the day can only get worse. then this mexican guy gets outta the passenger side of a car and approaches my window to inform me i lost my hubcap. i thanked him for letting me know. i pulled into the gas station and as i'm pumping gas, he comes up to me, hubcap in hand and said, 'i got it for you.' i was so elated. i thanked him graciously cus he had no idea that he just turned my day around. that's all it took. a nice person who took the time to do a small yet significant nice thing. he really turned my awful day into a good one. and he'll never know the difference he made.

mother's day is coming up. i've never sent my mother flowers. i've sent her cheap cards just to appease hallmark. but i got an email from ftd advertising for mother's day flowers. i decided eventually to go with proflowers. i pointed and clicked and lo and behold, my mother will receive flowers on may 9. a few days early, but she'll get the point. would i have been inclined to buy her flowers for the first time on mother's day if my hubcap was not retrieved? perhaps. but i do know that i was quicker to sponsor proflowers because of it. and i was more willing to purchase my mother's smile with flowers on her doorstep.

No comments: