Monday, May 12, 2008

83.

my very ancient grandmother turns 83 on sunday. at least according to the chinese calendar. chinese people have 2 birthdays; one on the lunar, one on the american calendar but they only celebrate the one on the lunar calendar. if i knew what day my birthday fell on the lunar calendar, believe me, i'd celebrate both.

so what in the world do you give an 83 year old woman? she has everything she needs. what money can buy, at this point, doesn't carry much sentiment when you've reached that ripe old age. or does it? well, money can buy trips and vacations, which my gramma absolutely loves. but my mother is a tour guide who takes her on frequent free trips. i could make her something, but will she remember where she put it in a month? how about some fancy tech toy? i'm sure someone who grew up in hut in rural china could surely find appreciation for a laptop or nintendo DS. my aunt even bought her a digital camera and printer (i think i've found more uses for them than my gramma).

i think what she appreciates most is time spent with her. to be remembered and not ignored. family, friends and time is what counts most when you're turning 83. stuff money can never buy. so that's what we're giving her this year. that, plus good food at a chinese restaurant.

1 comment:

Brenya ☆彡 said...

Happy birthday grandma!!! :D

I want some homemade dumplings!!