Thursday, April 17, 2008

sit and come.

my dog's got 'Sit' down. thanks to cheese and meat sticks.
i think she's starting to learn 'Come,' which is a biggie for me.
now all i got to do is teach her to do my laundry.
i just purchased the apron with 3 partitions, 6 ft leash, and meat recommended by the trainer.
i'm excited. i'm gonna do some drills at the dog park tonight.
i will never forget the look on my dog's face as i was drilling 'Sit' into her. she telepathically said to me, 'what is this?? you're asking me to actually do something for you?' as i always tell the parents i work with who are starting a behavioral program for the first time with their pain in the ass children, before it gets better, it always gets worse first. you're breaking a cycle that has enabled your child/dog to do whatever the hell she/he wants. why would they want to change that? now that you're trying to show them who's boss, they will fight tooth and nail before you beat them into submission.
who's the bitch now? (my dog's a girl)
the trainer said that dogs have learned to speak our language. they can read our facial and body language. our language is like ESL (english as a second language) to them. now we need to speak dog language. it's our turn to learn DSL (dog as a second language). good thing i have a knack for linguistics.

No comments: